- All competitors must be Full Weekend Pass holders or DanceOnly/Competition Pass holders
- Entry fee: $40 per couple during online registration or $50 at the event
- Open Division prize money: First place couple $1000 / Second place couple $500 / Third place couple $250
- Amateur Division prize money: First place couple $200 / Second place couple $100 / Third place couple $50
- Please see the schedule for times of the Prelims and Finals.
Anyone may compete in the Open Division of the ACBC. Only amateurs may compete in the Amateur Division of the ACBC. Amateurs may compete in both divisions if they wish to do so.
A competitor is allowed to dance only one role per ACBC division (for example: a competitor cannot dance as a follower and also as a leader in the Amateur ACBC but CAN dance as a leader in the Amateur ACBC and as a follower in the Open ACBC, if they chose to do so).
Do I qualify to compete in the Amateur division?
- I do NOT teach Balboa outside my home scene more than four times a year
- I have NOT placed first in the Amateur ACBC (2013-2019)
- I have NOT placed (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) in the Open ACBC, the Intergalactic Balboa Championship or the Pure Bal competition
- I have NOT won any national or international AMATEUR balboa strictly competition (examples include but are not limited to: Camp Hollywood, ILHC, CalBal, Snowball, Hot Rhythm Holiday)
- I have NOT placed (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in any national or international OPEN balboa strictly competition (examples include but are not limited to: Camp Hollywood, ILHC, CalBal, Snowball, Hot Rhythm Holiday)
If all the above are true, then you qualify to compete in the Amateur division of the ACBC.
- Warm-up All Skate – This round will start with a non-judged all skate. There may be 2 or more heats depending on the space available, and the number of couples in the competition.
- Heats consist of two songs
- Song 1 of Heat – Pure Balboa only – Close body contact between partners must be maintained at all times (Couples torsos must maintain contact the entire round.).
- Song 2 of Heat – Anything goes for this song.
- Final All Skate – When all of the heats are complete, ALL of the couples will dance to another song. This will be judged. If the judges feel it necessary, ALL of the couples will dance again to an additional song. This will also be judged.
Please note that you are being judged against ALL of the other couples in the contest not just your heat. Therefore the couples brought back for the final round will be the best out of the entire group. There is no minimum number of couples to be brought back from each heat.
Judges will be looking for timing, technique, teamwork, finesse, foot work and musicality.
Anything goes in this round. There are NO restrictions. However, emphasis will be placed on timing, technique, teamwork, finesse, foot work and musicality. Therefore, if a dip, trick, or aerial does not fit the music, it may not be beneficial to your final score.
- First All Skate – ALL of the couples will dance to a 2 minute song.
- Spotlights – Each couple will then get a 1 1/2 minute spotlight dance.
- Second All Skate – When all of the spotlights are complete, all of the couples will dance to another song. This will be judged. If the judges feel it necessary, all of the couples will dance again to an additional song. This will also be judged.
Once again, judges will be looking for timing, technique, teamwork, finesse, foot work and musicality.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on Sunday night. See the schedule for the exact time.
Please note that this is a BALBOA/BAL-SWING CONTEST. NOT a shag, jitterbug, or lindy contest. Expect GOOD balboa and bal-swing to be rewarded.