Only amateurs may compete in the Amateur ACBC while anyone may compete in the Open ACBC. Amateurs may compete in both the Amateur division and the Open division if they wish to do so.
To qualify for the Amateur ACBC you must meet the below criteria:
- You do not teach Balboa outside of your home scene more than four times a year and
- You have NOT placed 1st in the Amateur or Open ACBC, Amateur or Open Mix & Match or the IBC at ABW (2003-2018) and
- You have NOT placed 1st in an Amateur or Open division at another national or international Balboa competition (examples: Camp Hollywood, ILHC, Snowball, CalBal)
- All competitors must be Full Weekend Pass holders or Competition Pass holders
- $40 per couple
- Please see the schedule for times of the Prelims and Finals.
- Warm-up All Skate – This round will start with a non-judged all skate. There may be 2 heats depending on the space available, and the number of couples in the competition.
- Heats consist of two songs – The main portion of this round will be danced in heats. There will be 3 to 4 heats consisting of 8 to 10 couples each. If the maximum number of couples is less than 40, then there will be fewer couples in each of the 3 to 4 heats and/or there will be less than 3 to 4 heats.
- Song 1 of Heat – Pure Balboa only – Close body contact between partners must be maintained at all times (Couples torsos must maintain contact the entire round.).
- Song 2 of Heat – Anything goes for this song.
- Final All Skate – When all of the heats are complete, ALL of the couples will dance to another song. This will be judged. If the judges feel it necessary, ALL of the couples will dance again to an additional song. This will also be judged.
Please note that you are being judged against ALL of the other couples in the contest not just your heat. Therefore the couples brought back for the final round will be the best out of the entire group. There is no minimum number of couples to be brought back from each heat.
Judges will be looking for timing, technique, teamwork, finesse, foot work and musicality.
Anything goes in this round. There are NO restrictions. However, emphasis will be placed on timing, technique, teamwork, finesse, foot work and musicality. Therefore, if a dip, trick, or aerial does not fit the music, it may not be beneficial to your final score.
- First All Skate – ALL of the couples will dance to a 2 minute song.
- Spotlights – Each couple will then get a 1 1/2 minute spotlight dance.
- Second All Skate – When all of the heats are complete, all of the couples will dance to another song. This will be judged. If the judges feel it necessary, all of the couples will dance again to an additional song. This will also be judged.
Once again, judges will be looking for timing, technique, teamwork, finesse, foot work and musicality.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on Sunday night. See the schedule for the exact time.
Please note that this is a BALBOA/BAL-SWING CONTEST. NOT a shag, jitterbug, or lindy contest. Expect GOOD balboa and bal-swing to be rewarded.