- All entrants must be Full Weekend passholders or DanceOnly/Competition passholders.
- Entry fee: $40 during online registration or $50 at the door
- Prize money – First place couple $200 / Second place couple $100 / Third place couple $50
Rules for the Pro-Am Competition
To qualify as an Amateur at ABW for the Pro-Am Competition, you must meet the following criteria:
- You do not teach Balboa outside of your home scene more than four times a year and
- You have NOT won the Amateur ACBC or Amateur Mix & Match at ABW (2003-2019) and
- You have NOT placed 2nd or 3rd in the Open ACBC, Open Mix & Match at ABW (2003-2019) and
- You have NOT placed 1st in the Pro-Am and
- You have NOT placed 1st in an Amateur competition or 2nd or 3rd in an Open competition at another national or international Balboa competition
Each amateur follower will dance with the pro leader who has agreed to partner them. Each amateur leader will dance with the pro follower who has agreed to partner them. Only the amateur will be judged. Amateur leaders and amateur followers will compete and be judged separately. Pros may dance with up to two different partners. This will be a social dance competition in a strictly style competition format. Dancers register as couples and will dance to music randomly selected by the ABW DJ.
The exact format of the contest will be determined by the number of entrants and announced at the competitors’ meeting.
Medals will be given to the top three amateur leaders and the top three amateur followers. In addition, cash prizes will be given to ALL of the dancers winning top three placements, this includes both amateurs and pros.
Please note that this is a BALBOA/BAL-SWING CONTEST. NOT a shag, jitterbug, or lindy contest. Expect GOOD balboa and bal-swing to be rewarded.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on Sunday night. Please see the schedule for details.